Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Date night to self

Since I home school, I believe in the importance of a date night to my self. So tonight I go to the local coffee shop where I use my 'free coffee birthday coupon'. The coffee shop is packed, but I happen to find a table next to a party of six. To my surprise, they were low talkers and I even wondered if sometimes they were just staring at each other because it was so quiet! 

I open my Bible to Galatians. I am using one of Kay Arthur's Bible Studies. I have done many Bible studies, but I think these are the best I have ever done. I am learning so much as I mark my Bible and read and re-read the chapter several times. 

Tonight I had to read the verses more than once because 15 fifteen feet away was a 40ish year old man on a "first coffee date" with an attractive 45 year old woman. For 45 minutes he talked non-stop about his 16 and 13 year old daughters and about their ipod and the classical music he downloads into it. He believes once a week they should be exposed to The Who, Asia, and anything else from the 70's. Gee - what a dad! Barely catching his breath, he proceeds to share his life as a sports writer. I try desperately to tune him out wishing for my ipod! The woman has barely said 10 full sentences and when she does, her date appears to have a plastered smile just waiting to talk about himself. After returning from the restroom, he asks the woman if he has freaked her out. I want to shout, "Yes and me too!" She politely says no, but you read in her response that this is the last date with him. He confirms this with, "I have been on many coffee dates like this." And I thought, "Something tells me this will be your last coffee date with her." He then proceeds to tell her, "They all say that I am a nice guy." Oh, that is really going to get you a second date! When she declines coffee with you again, she will make sure to use that line. 

As I leave the coffee shop, I look forward to going home to my husband of 14 years. And of course, we reminisce about our first date as I share my evening with him.  


2 comments:

Alicia said...

I love it! Too Funny! Thank God for last first dates!

Anonymous said...

You remind me of a blog I have been reading lately called The Pioneer Woman. Too funny! Her Love Story is addicting.
I started a blog on here eons ago I wonder if it is still here or do they drop off from lack of life? I wouldnt even know my sign in info anyway....lol

PS BTW... I commented today on a post way back in Oct.